Echium Seed Oil
CAS No. N/A
Echium Seed Oil (pronounced Ek-ee-um) is derived from the seeds of the Echium plantagineum plant, also known as the Purple Viper's-Bugloss or Blueweed. It is a winter annual plant native to western and southern Europe, northern Africa and southwestern Asia, among other areas. It has been introduced and become naturalized in many areas of the United States.
Echium Seed Oil is high in Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA), as well as Stearidonic Acid (SDA). Stearidonic Acid is gaining popularity as a vegan alternative source of omega-3s to those contained in fish oil. Our oil is non-GMO, cold pressed and otherwise unrefined.
Echium Seed Oil Profile (typical)*
- 3.0 - 8.0% C16:0 Palmitic Acid
- 1.0 - 5.0% C18:0 Stearic Acid
- 12.0 - 18.0% C18:1 (n-9) Oleic Acid
- 10.0 - 16.0% C18:2 (n-6) Linoleic fatty acid
- 26.0 - 40.0% C18:3 (n-3) Alpha-linolenic fatty acid
- 7.0 - 13.0% C18:3 (n-6) Gamma-linolenic fatty acid
- 11.0 - 18.0% C18:4 (n-3) Stearidonic fatty acid
This oil has a relatively short shelf life - we recommend storing it in your refrigerator, where it should last considerably longer.
Echium Oil SDS - Coming Soon!
Recommended Usage Rate: 1 - 100%
Appearance: Pale yellow to golden colored oil
Odor: Mild and characteristic
Country of Origin: USA
Method of Extraction: Cold pressed
Shelf Life: Up to 2 years if stored under refrigeration, 3-6 months at room temperature
SAP Value: KOH .179 - .190
Required HLB: 7