Euxyl® PE 9010
CAS No. 122-99-6, 70445-33-9
Euxyl® PE 9010 is a liquid cosmetic preservative based on phenoxyethanol and ethylhexylglycerin. The addition of ethylhexylglycerin affects the interfacial tension at the cell membrane of microorganisms, improving the preservative activity of phenoxyethanol.
Euxyl® PE 9010 is considered to be a broad spectrum preservative effective against both Gram-positve and Gram-negative bacteria, yeast and mold. Euxyl® PE 9010 is paraben free and formaldehyde free.
For Euxyl® PE 9010 to perform effectively in destroying organisms in products already contaminated, a minimum contact time of 48 hours is necessary. Since the effect of Euxyl® PE 9010 takes place through chemical reactions with the microorganisms, when it is used in heavily contaminated products, loss of its active ingredient (phenoxyethanol) must be taken into account.
Euxyl® PE 9010 can be used in formulas containing natural raw materials (which have a greater risk for microbial contamination). Microorganisms introduced by this pathway are quickly eliminated by Euxyl® PE 9010.
Good production hygiene as well as the use of raw materials with low microorganism levels, as a result of correct raw material control, are vital prerequisites for the production of finished products.
Euxyl® PE 9010 is recommended for use in:
- Creams, lotions, and serums
- Formulations containing natural raw materials
- Wet wipes
- Shampoo**, conditioners and other hair care products
- Body washes**
- Anhydrous skin care products
* High loads of ethoxylated surfactants can result in a loss of efficacy.
Euxyl® PE 9010 contains:
- Phenoxyethanol 90.0%
- Ethylhexylglycerin 10.0%
While Euxyl® PE 9010 is classified as a "mild" preservative as formulated, the raw material should be handled with care as the full strength preservative causes severe eye irritation and may be dangerous if swallowed. Read the SDS before use and follow recommended guidelines for handling, including Safety Goggles!
INCI: Phenoxyethanol (and) Ethylhexylglycerin
California Prop 65 Statement: The following statement is made in order to comply with the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. This product is not known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.
- Euxyl® PE 9010 is fully effective both in anionic as well as cationic and non-ionic systems, but a high load of ethoxylated surfactants can result in a loss of efficacy.
- Euxyl® PE 9010 shows good compatibility with salts.
- Euxyl® PE 9010 is stable to hydrolysis, temperature (up to 120°C) and pH. It can be used in pH ranges up to 12.
- Euxyl® PE 9010 has limited solubility in water (1% at 20°C), but is readily soluble in polar solvents such as propylene glycol and propanediol 1,3. It is moderately soluble in glycerol and sorbitol.
- Euxyl® PE 9010 exhibits no interaction with sulphite ions
- Shows good compatibility with a wide range of cosmetic ingredients. No discolorations have been detected.
- Shows no interaction with pigments such as TiO2.
Recommended use levels: 0.5 - 1.0%, maximum use level 1.1%
Appearance: Clear, colorless liquid
Solubility: Water soluble (10g/L @20°C/68°F) and oil soluble
Country of Origin: Germany
Storage: Store in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight. Should be stored at a temperature between 8-25°C (46 - 77°F)
Try these formulations using this ingredient: