Silvérion 2400 is a preservative based on a stabilized silver complex produced by an electrochemical process with silver and citric acid. It is a water soluble silver salt of citric acid (containing 2400ppm silver ions). It is not a colloidal silver solution.
Silver biocides work by binding to and disrupting the bacterial cell wall, binding to the microbe's enzymes and denaturing them, which destroys the energy source of the cell, leading to rapid cell death. It also binds to DNA, thus stopping its replication.
Silvérion 2400 provides a broad spectrum antimicrobial activity and is effective against unwanted skin bacteria (especially cornybacterium) and pathogenic micro organisms. Its fast-killing activity makes Silvérion 2400 an effective antimicrobial for home & personal care products. In the US, Silvérion 2400 can be used as a deodorant active or a preservative. As a stand-alone preservative, it is used at levels of 0.1 - 0.3% and can be combined with other preservatives if needed. Unlike many paraben-containing preservatives, Silvérion 2400 will not migrate into the oil phase of emulsions, thus maintaining strong efficacy against microorganisms in the water phase.
Silvérion 2400 shows good compatibility in most formulations at a pH below 7 with anionic and non-ionic surfactants, emulsifiers and with amphoteric surfactants. Silvérion 2400 is compatible with many other antimicrobial actives and most preservatives. Combination of Silvérion 2400 with cationic ingredients and incorporation in formulations with pH above 7 should be avoided. It is compatible with xanthan gum and many acrylate polymer thickeners, but incompatibilities may exist with cellulose (HEC, HPMC) and starch derivatives, as well as cationic guar and strongly cationic systems.
Exposure of Silvérion 2400 or Silvérion 2400-containing formulations to light should be avoided and the product should preferably be stored in containers that provide protection against light. Final formulations should be tested for light stability in case they are sold in transparent packaging.
- Formaldehyde Free
- Paraben Free
- No Phenols
- No oil-phase migration
- Low level of use
- Creams and Lotions (not cationic emulsions)
- Gels, Serums, Facial Products
- Body Sprays and Mists
- Shower Gels and Shampoos
INCI: Silver Citrate and Citric Acid
Regulatory: Silvérion 2400 is an approved preservative in the US and it is now on the European approved preservative list. In Europe, Silvérion 2400 can also be used as an antimicrobial active in all types of rinse off and leave on cosmetic products or for its deodorant properties. It is currently on the Japanese positive preservative list. In Japan it can be used for soft claims, for example, malodor protection.
California Prop 65 Statement: The following statement is made in order to comply with the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. This product is not known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.
- Silvérion 2400 is highly water soluble and easy to incorporate into the aqueous phase of gels, surfactants and emulsions made by a cold process method.
- In the manufacturing of emulsions produced by hot processes, it should be added to the final formulation after the emulsion has cooled down below 50°C (122°F).
- For formulations sensitive to acids, Silvérion 2400 can be pre-neutralized prior to addition to the product by the use of any base. To avoid coloration/discoloration, it is recommended to neutralize with NaOH or KOH instead of amines like AMP. The lower the pH value of the formulation the better the light stability of the formulation.
- Exposure of Silvérion 2400 to pH's higher than 7 and temperatures above 50°C (122°F) should be avoided in order to achieve optimal formulation stability.
Recommended usage level:
- Skin Care products 0.1% - 0.3% (only up to 0.2% in the EU)
- Home Care products 0.1% - 0.5%
Appearance: Colorless, low viscosity liquid with a very faint citrus scent.
pH: 1.4 - 1.6
Solubility: Soluble in water. Miscible with ethanol, glycerin, and propylene glycol
Country of Origin: USA
Shelf Life: 3 years, properly stored
Try These Formulations Using This Product:
Natural Body & Room Spray (Link to video)