CAS No. 9036-66-2, 77332-18-5 (EINECS# 232-910-0, # 231-791-2)
Galactoarabinan (gal-act-o-arab-in-an) is a highly functional natural polysaccharide extracted from North American Larch trees that have already been harvested. It is a natural polymer linked with sugar units consisting of galactose and arabinose in a 6:1 ratio respectively. It has a synthetic-like consistency with a narrowly peaked molecular weight distribution and high intrinsic purity. Its many unique properties and benefits make it useful in a wide variety of personal care applications.
In cosmetics, it helps to reduce transepidermal water loss (TEWL) and provide long lasting moisturization. It has been shown in in vivo studies to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. With its film forming abilities, it can be useful in skin tightening formulas.
Galactoarabinan reduces emulsion particle size which enhances emulsion uniformity and promotes stability, while adding minimal contribution to the viscosity of a formulation. It also has minimal interference with the formulation pH, salt content, ionic species, as well as shear. By reducing droplet size and improving aqueous dispersion of pigments and particulate materials, it acts as a natural SPF enhancer for sunscreens.
It is very soluble in water and proportionally soluble in many solvents. It has a molecular weight of ~ 20,000 Daltons. Galactoarabinan is an environmentally friendly and readily biodegradable ingredient.
- Moisturizes skin and scalp
- Improves appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduces emulsion particle size to enhance emulsion uniformity
- Promoted emulsion stability
- Enhances SPF in sunscreens
- Sun care products
- Facial moisturizers & serums
- Skin care
- Color cosmetics
- BB & CC Creams
- Hair care
Galactoarabinan can be found in hundreds of internationally launched cosmetic products in the last ten years.
California Prop 65 Statement: The following statement is made in order to comply with the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. This product is not known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.
- Add to the water phase of any formulation
- Not suitable for anhydrous (all-oil) formulas
- Not heat sensitive, can be added to water phase prior to heating
- Works at a wide pH range (2-12)
- Sustains high shear
- High tolerance of electrolytes
Recommended Usage Rates:
- TEWL reduction: up to 2% in lotions
- Instant Skin Tightening: typically 5.0%
- Particle Dispersion: typically 0.5 - 1.0%
- Film Forming: typically 2.0 - 5.0%
- SPF enhancement: typically 2.0 - 5.0%
Appearance: Powder or crystalline free flowing powder
Color: Off-white to tan powder
Odor: Slight aromatic
Particle size: <20% +40M
Viscosity (5% solution): <5.0 cps
Molecular Weight: 22,000 Daltons
Solubility: Soluble in water, insoluble in oil
Derived from: North American Larch Tree
Storage: Store in a cool, dry place out of heat or direct sunlight.
Shelf Life: 4 years from date of manufacture