Propanediol 1,3 (referred to as Propanediol hereafter) is a natural, green, propylene glycol alternative derived from corn sugar, used as a humectant, hair and skin conditioner, preservative booster, and solvent with a light, non-sticky, slightly dry skin feel.
Propanediol increases hydration when used in hair and body products, and at 5%, performs better than propylene glycol and butylene glycol. When combined with glycerin, Propanediol shows a synergistic effect that reduces the tackiness of glycerin, while offering the benefits of increased levels of hydration. At levels up to 75%, it shows low potential to irritate or sensitize skin.
In surfactant systems, Propanediol increases the clarity of surfactant systems and viscosity while decreasing the amount of salt necessary to thicken a product. It improves flash foam, and produces more elegant systems with creamier lather and denser foam.
In hair care products, such as shampoo, conditioner, leave on conditioners, or styling aids, it offers a cleaner feeling after rinsing while increasing moisturization, improving detangling, reducing static, and improving wet and dry combing.
In all products, it decreases the freezing point and increases stability in freeze/thaw and heated tests.
Propanediol may boost the efficacy of preservatives. Its efficacy was demonstrated when combined with preservatives containing phenoxyethanol against yeast, gram-positive, and gram-negative organisms, as well as mold.
- 0.25% Euxyl PE 9010 and 2% Propanediol proved effective against Pseudomonas aeruginosa (bacteria) and Aspergillus niger (mold), as well as at 4% against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli (bacteria) and 6% against Candida albicans (yeast).
- Similar results were shown using 0.25% Optiphen with 2% against Staphylococcus aureus (gram-positive bacteria), Escherichia coli (gram-negative bacteria), and Aspergillus niger (mold), and Candida albicans (yeast) at 6%.
- Reduced levels of Optiphen at 0.125% and 6% Propanediol were also shown to be effective.
Euxyl PE 9010 and Optiphen are both available through Lotioncrafter (see You Might Also Like links).
Propanediol is an excellent solvent for harder to dissolve ingredients like salicylic acid, ferulic acid, allantoin, and ascorbic acid.
- Light, non-sticky skin feel
- Green substitute for propylene glycol from a renewable resource
- Viscosity enhancer
- Clarity enhancer for surfactant systems
- Increased freeze/thaw and heat stability
- Low potential to irritate or sensitize skin
- Good solvent for hard to dissolve ingredients as well as botanical extract
- Boosts efficacy of preservatives
- Hygroscopic, hydrates skin and hair well
- Kosher, halal, USP-NF
Shipping Information: HS# 2905450000
California Prop 65 Statement: The following statement is made in order to comply with the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. This product is not known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Recommended Usage Rate: 1 - 10%, up to 20%
Appearance: Clear colorless oil
Odor: Low, sweet
pH (as supplied): Neutral
Country of Origin: USA
Storage: sealed container within the temperature range of 0 – 50°C (32 –122°F). If containers are opened, re-seal and store within that temperature range, and avoid prolonged exposure to water and oxygen. The use of an inert gas, like Lotioncrafter OxBlox, or nitrogen is encouraged during storage.
Shelf Life: 2 Years can be expected, if seal is unbroken and stored as directed, otherwise ~ 9 -12 months