CAS#: 90-80-2, 532-32-1
In today’s market, companies are seeking alternatives to traditional preservatives. NeoDefendTM is a preservative designed to meet those needs. Instead of a harsh, aggressive approach with bacteria and fungi, NeoDefendTM helps prevent product spoilage by utilizing less aggressive “Hurdle Technology” to create a more hostile environment within the formulation for microbes to overcome. NeoDefend’s potentiators help create such hurdles, helping to increase the self-preservation of formulations.Derived from ingredients granted GRAS status (Generally Regarded As Safe), NeoDefend’s ingredients are accepted by ECOCERT as preservatives in certified organic cosmetics. Consisting of a blend of gluconolactone, sodium benzoate and calcium gluconate, it offers broad spectrum protection in cosmetic and personal care formulations. A gluten-free fermented food starch derived from non genetically-modified corn via a fermentation process with non genetically-modified microorganisms, gluconolactone finds use in the food and cosmetic industry as a moisturizer, antioxidant and chelant. Considered a next generation AHA, Gluconolactone is a Polyhydroxy acid (PHA) that is found in its final state in bee’s honey. It is generally considered suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin, and is non-irritating and antioxidant. Given their ability to condition and hydrate skin, Gluconolactone-containing formulations may even smooth skin texture and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Sodium benzoate is a preservative with bacteriostatic and fungistatic properties under acidic conditions (pH should be 6 or below). Calcium gluconate is added at a very low level as an inert flow agent.
- Hair Care: Shampoos, Conditioners, Rinses
- Skin Care: Shower Gels, Lotions, Moisturizers, Creams
- Sun Products: Sunscreen Lotions and Creams
- Raw Materials: Surfactants, Shampoo Blends Conditioner Blends
- Broad spectrum protection
- Globally accepted
- Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) ingredients
- Improves skin moisture content
- Broad compatibility with cosmetic ingredients
- Exceptional toxicity profile
- Non-sensitizing and non-irritating
- Effective over a pH range of pH 3 - 6
- No animal testing, non GMO
INCI: Gluconolactone (and) Sodium Benzoate
California Prop 65 Statement: The following statement is made in order to comply with the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. This product is not known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.
- NeoDefendTM is fully compatible with a wide variety of formulation ingredients as well as most types of cationic, nonionic and anionic systems.
- NeoDefendTM can be used effectively over a wide pH range of 3 to 6.
- Due to its heat stability, NeoDefendTM may be added to the water phase of formulations early in the compounding process.
- Can be added at cool down, in the final phase of processing, although it may need to be pre-dissolved in a portion of the water prior to addition to the batch depending on lotion consistency.
- In some formulations, NeoDefendTM has been found to cause a pH drift downwards. In such situations, sodium citrate or phosphate buffers can be used to stabilize the pH.
Appearance: Free flowing, white powder
Solubility: Soluble in water, propylene glycol, glycerin and mineral oil
Shelf life: Up to 3 years when stored in the sealed original packaging under normal temperature conditions, away from moisture. Country of Origin: USA
Shipping Info: HS# 2918.14.0000