Please see our Sepiplus 400 Hydroalcoholic Gel Guide for tips on formulating with alcohol.
CAS# 26100-47-0, 90003-27-4, 9005-64-5
Sepiplus 400 is a part of a new generation of "Hydro Swelling Droplet" (HSD) thickening emulsifiers. Sepiplus 400 has great thickening capacity in the presence of electrolytes (NaCl, mineral water) and it thickens well in the presence of solvents (ethanol, glycerin and glycols). It is stable over a wide pH range (pH 2.5 - 11). Sepiplus 400 emulsifies and stabilizes up to 50% oil phase, whatever the nature of the oil, without added emulsifier, independently of the viscosity.
- Efficient use at low levels
- No neutralization
- No heating
- No clumping
- No static electrical charge
California Prop 65 Statement: The following statement is made in order to comply with the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. This product is not known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm at it's recommended level of use. Please read the Prop 65 statement in the Technical Data for further information.
Sepiplus 400 is a ready-to-use liquid requiring no heat or neutralization to achieve thickening or emulsifying. However, it is resistant to heat and high shear mixing, thereby offering a great deal of freedom in formulating.
- For Aqueous gels: Add Sepiplus 400 to the aqueous phase while agitating mechanically (stick blender, hand or stationary mixer).
- For Cream gels: It is preferable to disperse Sepiplus 400 in the oily phase, then add water all at once while agitating mechanically.
- For Hydroalcoholic gels: Prepare the aqueous gel with Sepiplus 400 first, then add the solvent (alcohol) gradually with stirring.
For Hot Process Emulsions: Disperse Sepiplus in the pre-heated oil phase (if necessary) or in the water phase before emulsification. Mix until emulsified and continue to mix until cool. Alternate method: Incorporate the Sepiplus 400 immediately after emulsification or during the cooling phase.
- Add electrolytes or dissolved active ingredients at the end of the process
- In particularly difficult cases, when the thickening capacity of Sepiplus 400 is insufficient, it is advisable to form synergistic combinations with cellulose derivatives, xanthan gum, guar gum, vinyl polymers or other polymers.
- For emulsions, when Sepiplus 400 is used as a thickener-stabilizer, its concentration can be from 0.2% - 3%, depending on the nature of the other ingredients in the formulation.
- In cream-gels, when Sepiplus 400 is used as the sole emulsifier, its concentration can be between 0.5 - 3%, depending on the nature of the other ingredients in the formulation.
Recommended usage level: 0.5 - 3%
Appearance: Translucent, slightly viscous liquid
Effective pH range: 5-7 (2% aqueous gel)
Stability: Stable between pH 2.5 - pH 11
HLB: Not applicable
INCI: Polyacrylate 13 (and) Polyisobutene (and) Polysorbate 20
Try out these formulations using this ingredient: