Sodium Carbomer, Preneutralized Carbomer
Attention: Sodium Carbomer will not thicken 70% isopropyl alcohol. HPMC and Sepimax Zen can both thicken 70% isopropyl alcohol at 3%.
CAS No. 73298-57-4, 9003-04-07Sodium Carbomer is a pre-neutralized synthetic polymer that can be used to thicken, suspend and stabilize cosmetic formulations. Requiring very low concentrations, Carbomers are often used to adjust the viscosity of cosmetic preparations. They dry quickly and are not film forming. Sodium Carbomer does not require the alkaline catalyst that all other Carbomers require. Sodium Carbomer is already neutralized, and in the sodium carbomer form, it is a dry powder with a pH of approximately 6.5. After mixing with water to create a simple gel matrix, the pH remains a 6-7.5. Unlike most Carbomers which are acidic and need to be neutralized with an alkaline substance to thicken them after introduction, Sodium Carbomer does not. As it is sprinkled into a formulation, it readily thickens within a pH range of approximately 5.0 to 10 at a concentration of 0.2%. Carbomers as an ingredient family resist bacterial attack and do not readily support mold growth. Under normal conditions, gels prepared with Sodium Carbomer neither prevent nor promote the growth of microorganisms; therefore the addition of a suitable preservative system is advisable. Benefits
- Low dusting powder for superior handling
- Quick dispersion
- Simplifies the production process
- pH is constant during the production process
- The viscosity of finished products can be modified
- Can tolerate a 70:30 water/alcohol blend (note that is NOT 70% alcohol, it is 30%!)
- Eye Gels
- Body Washes
- Creams and Lotions
INCI: Sodium Carbomer
California Prop 65 Statement: The following statement is made in order to comply with the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. This product contains residual solvent methanol, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity.
- Sodium Carbomer does not require any pre-dispersion as it thickens the formulation as soon as it is sprinkled into the water or a water/alcohol blend giving a clear viscous gel.
- Slow addition of the powder avoids the formation of lumps and guarantees quick thickening.
- During preparation of emulsions, Sodium Carbomer can be dispersed into the oil or the water phase before the emulsification step.
- It can also be sprinkled directly into the emulsion, stirring until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- The pH achieved at 0.5% in water is around 7. If a lower pH is required, small adjustments are possible by adding acids (e.g. citric acid or lactic acid). High amounts of acid should be avoided because of the formation of salts that negatively affect the viscosity.
- The addition of water soluble UV absorbers can help prevent polymer degradation caused by UV radiation (which can cause a loss of viscosity).
Recommended Usage Rate: 0.2 - 0.5%
Appearance: White Powder
Solubility: Soluble in water
Try Out These Formulations Using This Ingredient: