BRIGHLETTE™ marine ingredient is a new cosmetic active which acts on various stages of melanin production and deposition in the skin for an integral and effective control of pigmentation. It is part of Lipotec's new BIOINTEC™ blue biotechnology line of biotechnological ingredients. Isolated from a naturally occurring marine microorganism found on the southwest coast of Tenerife Island in Spain, it is produced through biotechnology, so there is no harvesting or extracting from nature.
The Science of Skin Lightening
BRIGHLETTE™ marine ingredient acts on various stages of melanin production and deposition in the skin to improve luminosity and decrease visibility of hyperpigmented areas to even out the skin tone. This extract has a brightening effect and homogenizes skin complexion by reducing melanin content, size and contrast of dark spots.
The process by which melanocytes produce melanin (melanogenesis) and distribute it in the skin is complex and involves multiple steps: Activation of various signaling pathways in melanocytes results in gene transcription of diverse key melanogenic proteins. Then, melanosomes form and melanin is synthesized within them. Once these vesicles are mature and filled with pigment they are transferred to keratinocytes.
BRIGHLETTE™ marine ingredient consistently modulates several steps that provide pigmentation. It regulates gene expression of melanogenic signaling proteins to decrease the formation and maturation of melanosomes, reduces tyrosinase levels and activity, and diminishes melanin uptake by keratinocytes. In addition, it induces the expression of genes involved in DNA repair, necessary due to the loss of UV-protective pigment.
In Vitro Test
- Reduced melan-A protein levels (40.0%), thus interfering with development of melanosomes.
- Diminished the amount of human tyrosinase protein by up to 48.9% and its activity by 24.3%.
- Decreased the amount of melanin pigment produced by melanocyte in culture by 61.3%.
- Acting on melanocytes, resulted in a 69.0% lower uptake of particles (phagocytosis) in keratinocytes.
- Neutralized WNT-induced hyper-pigmentation (related to age spots) in reconstituted epidermis.
In Vivo Test on Volunteers
22 Asian female volunteers (38-53 years old) with hyper-pigmented regions in skin applied a cream with 2% BRIGHLETTE™ marine ingredient or a placebo cream twice a day for 8 weeks.
- Applied at 2% in vivo, provided brightness by increasing luminance (L*) (2.5%) and individual topological angle (ITA) (15.3%), and decreased contrast of dark spots by 12.7%, leading to a great improvement in evenness.
- The treatment shrank the area of dark spots (6.9%) and decreased their melanin content by 61.1%.
- Helps provide a more even skin tone
- Helps prevent hyper-pigmented or dark spots, often an early sign of aging, especially in Asian skin
- Helps lighten the complexion.
BRIGHLETTE™ marine ingredient can be used in any cosmetic formulation to provide a brighter complexion and in anti-aging products to even the skin tone by reducing dark spots.
- Add at the end of the emulsion, at cool down, below 40°C (104°F).
- pH of the final formulation should be between 4.0 and 7.0.
Please refer to MSDS/Technical Data Tab for more information from Lipotec on this ingredient!
INCI: Butylene Glycol, Water, Plankton Extract
Do not directly apply onto your skin. This product should be added to a formulation at the recommended usage rate.
Shipping Information: HS Code 1302190100
Statements contained herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat and cure, or prevent disease. Always consult with your professional skin care provider.
California Prop 65 Statement: The following statement is made in order to comply with the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. This product is not known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.
To request technical documentation, please contact Lotioncrafter at email@example.com
Recommended Usage Rate: 2%
Appearance: Colorless to yellow transparent solution
Active content: Contains 0.11% plankton extract