Euxyl® K 703
Our current shelf stock retest date is 10/01/2022.
Euxyl® K 703 is a complete preservative system and is paraben free and formaldehyde free. It is effective against both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria, mold, and yeast.
It is a mild globally-approved preservative consisting of a liquid blend of phenoxyethanol, benzoic acid, and dehydroacetic acid.
Benzoic acid is a simple aromatic carboxylic acid widely distributed in nature in the free state or in the form of salts. Appreciable amounts are found in gum benzoin, in cranberries, and other like berries. The free acid is found in prunes, ripe cloves and oil of anise seeds. In addition to being used for cosmetic preservation, it is also used as a preservatives in foods, for pharmaceutical and medicinal uses and as an ingredient in antiseptic ointments for treatment of fungal infections of the skin.
Dehydroacetic acid is a cyclic ketone acid which has anti-fungal and has some antibacterial properties.
Euxyl® K 703 is recommended for use in multiple personal care products including shower gels, shampoos, body washes, creams, lotions, and wet wipes. It is not suitable for anhydrous products. Due to the presence of the organic acids in the system, Euxyl® K 703 offers broad spectrum protection against bacteria, yeast, and mold and is effective in applications where the pH is not above 6.0.
- Euxyl® K 703 is fully effective both in anionic as well as cationic and non-ionic systems
- Offers good head space protection in packaging
- Euxyl® K 703 has limited solubility in water and non-polar solvents.
- Euxyl® K 703 exhibits no interaction with sulphite ions
- Euxyl® K 703, in the presence of iron ions, e.g. from mineral thickeners, may result in yellow discoloration of a formula
- The recommended pH range for formulations is between pH 3 - 6. Efficacy is increased by reducing the pH value of the final formulation.
- Prolonged heating periods greater than 176°F/80°C should be avoided. It is advantageous to add Euxyl® K 703 in the cooling phase, e.g. with the fragrance, at less than 104°F/40°C.
- In aqueous products with low emulsifier content, intensive mixing is recommended to achieve a uniform dispersal of the preservative.
Euxyl® K 703 contains:
- Phenoxyethanol 78.0 - 84.0%
- Benzoic Acid 11.0 - 13.0%
- Dehydroacetic Acid 6.5 - 7.5%
While Euxyl® K 703 is classified as a "mild" preservative as formulated, the raw material should be handled with care as the full strength preservative causes severe eye irritation and may cause tissue damage. Read the MSDS before use and follow recommended guidelines for handling, including Safety Goggles!
INCI: Phenoxyethanol (and) Benzoic Acid (and) Dehydroacetic Acid
California Prop 65 Statement: The following statement is made in order to comply with the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. This product is not known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Recommended use levels: 0.4% - 1.2%.
Appearance: Yellow to dark yellow liquid
Solubility: Water soluble (20g/L @20°C/68°F) and oil soluble
pH as supplied: 3.0 - 4.0 (2g/L)
Country of Origin: Germany
Storage: Store in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight. Should be stored at a temperature between 8-25°C (46 - 77°F)
Try out these formulations using this product: