Radicals and reactive species are responsible for several mechanisms which trigger skin aging. They cause irreversible damage in cells and tissues, affecting organs too, so they are involved in a great number of diseases. In particular, Peroxynitrite, a powerful RNS (Reactive Nitrogen Species), exhibits a wide array of tissue-harmful effects, ranging from lipid peroxidation and DNA damage to inactivation of enzymes via protein oxidation and nitration. ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species) are free radicals generated from endogenous sources and also from external pro-oxidant stimuli.
Lipochroman®-6, is a remarkable molecule that can capture both nitrogen and oxygen radicals. In addition to this dual activity, Lipochroman®-6 is one of the most potent oxygen-radical scavengers. It is, therefore, a powerful active to prevent skin cell damage produced by several kinds of radicals and reactive species.
Oxidative stress is the imbalance between cellular production of free radical species and the ability of cells to eliminate them employing endogenous antioxidant defense mechanisms. This stress damages cells irreversibly. Cellular level studies of Lipochroman®-6 as compared to Resveratrol, Vitamin E and Ferulic Acid in cell viability assays indicate it increased cell viability by as much as 173% compared to these materials. The use of Lipochroman®-6 in cosmetic formulations can significantly reduce oxidative stress.
- Double scavenging action: RNS and ROS
- Potent singlet oxygen scavenging activity
- Potent inhibitor or Peroxynitrite-induced lipid peroxidation
- Prevents skin cell damage induced by peroxynitrite and nitric oxide formation
- Internal photo-protection against UVA light by inhibiting ROS production
- Inhibits lipid peroxidation at low concentrations
- Avoids lipid peroxidation of essential oils in cosmetic formulations
- Protects human fibroblasts against oxidative stress
Lipochroman®-6 can be incorporated in oil-containing cosmetic formulations such as emulsions, gels, serum, etc., where premature skin aging avoidance is desired.
INCI: Dimethylmethoxy Chromanol
Important Note: Lipochroman®-6 is a registered trademark of Lipotec and it cannot be referenced in your marketing literature without a signed Trademark Agreement with Lipotec.
Statements contained herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat and cure or prevent disease. Always consult with your professional skin care provider.
California Prop 65 Statement: The following statement is made in order to comply with the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. This product is not known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.
To request technical documentation, please contact Lotioncrafter at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Easily incorporated in cosmetic formulations dissolved in the appropriate solvent.
- It is recommended to add the product in the oily phase, at the final stage of the manufacturing process. Although it can be incorporated at a maximum temperature of 70°C (158°F), if formulated with oxidant agents the temperature should be lowered.
Appearance: Off white to beige crystalline powder
Solubility: Solubilize preferentially in aromatic solvents (C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate) and esters (Ethylhexyl Cocoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, etc.)
Solubility at Room Temperature
Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate 6.2%
C12-C15 Alkyl Benzoate 5.7%
Ethylhexyl Cocoate 2.7%
Minimize the use of highly non-polar solvents (mineral oil, isohexadecane, etc.) in the oily phase and the use of polar (ethanol, propylene glycol, glycols, etc.) solvents in the aqueous phase.