CAS No. 175357-18-3
Sepiwhite™ MSH is an excellent skin lightener and brightener suitable for all skin types and ethnicities that promotes a more uniform and radiant complexion with results in as little as seven days. Studies have demonstrated an increase in skin luminosity and decrease in the number and color of hyperpigmented spots, and it can be combined with other active ingredients, such as niacinamide or AHAs. Sepiwhite™ MSH is a lipoaminoacid or vectorized essential amino acid developed from phenylalanine, an amino acid involved in melanin synthesis. MSH is an alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone (MSH) receptor agonist developed from this amino acid that inhibits the process of melanin synthesis from the hypothalamus to produce a reduction in melanic pigments in skin cells.
In two studies, 1% Sepiwhite™ MSH was combined with 5% niacinamide in lotion. Volunteers reported a reduction in hyperpigmentation after 8 weeks of usage.
- In an eight week study using 2% Sepiwhite™ MSH alone, 83% of volunteers reported a more radiant complexion, 73% fewer age spots, 100% lighter age spots, and 100% more even complexion and skin tone.
- In a seven day study using Sepiwhite™ MSH alone, volunteers reported hyperpigmentation was reduced by 24% and skin luminosity increased by 9%
- In studies using 0.2% Sepiwhite™ MSH and 2% ascorbyl glucoside, it doubled the lightening action resulting in a 13% decrease in melanin pigments.
- In a two month study using Sepiwhite™ MSH alone, skin’s luminosity was increased by +1.13 L*, a measure of skin’s brightness.
- Promotes a more uniform and more radiant complexion
- Promotes reduction of number and color of age spots
- Demonstrated effectiveness for all skin types and ethnicities
- Promotes a more even skin tone
- Reported visible increases in skin luminosity and brightness
- Preservative free, paraben free phthalate free
- Readily biodegradable
- Anti-aging products for face and body, including gels, emulsions, and toners
- Daily skin rejuvenating products, like sera, targeted treatments, and moisturizers
- Revitalizing products such as toners, gels, masks, and eye products
- Skin lightening make-up removers
- Pressed and loose mineral make-up powders, including foundations and highlighters
INCI: Undecylenoyl phenylalanine
Shipping Information: HS Code 3402119000
Statements contained herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat and cure or prevent disease. Always consult with your professional skin care provider.
- Use 0.2% in combination with another brightener, otherwise up to 2% in the heated water or heated oil phase of a formulation at more than 60°C (140°F).
- In a product with pH 5 or lower, incorporate into any type of formula.
- In a product above pH 5, but below 6.2, can incorporate with the use of up to 20% ethanol. Not the ideal pH range for this ingredient.
- In a product with pH 6.2 or higher, incorporation into any type of formula is possible.
Compatibility & Stability
- Excellent stability in cosmetic products with no expected color or odor changes
- Compatible with formulas containing AHA and kojic acid (pH below 5)
- Compatible with formulas containing arbutin, hydroquinone, niacinamide, and those above pH 7
- Compatible with sunscreens
- Suitable for aqueous, hydroalcoholic, or hydroglycolic formulas
- Suitable for clear, colorless formulas
Recommended Usage Rate: 0.2 - 2%
Solubility: Water soluble at pH 7, otherwise insoluble in water. Miscible in water. Soluble in alcohol and oil.
pH (1% solution in water): 4.0
Country of Origin: China
Shelf Life: 1 year if stored in a cool, dark place