Varisoft EQ 65
CAS # 67846-68-8, 67762-27-0
Varisoft EQ 65 is a green, readily biodegradable cationic or positively charged ester quat derived from stearic acid and combined with cetearyl alcohol to act as a thickener and conditioning agent for emulsions and hair care products.
Hair care products and lotions made with Varisoft EQ 65 are rich and creamy with the distinctive dry, powdery skin feel of cationic emulsifiers. They are substantive and conditioning to skin and hair, while improving wet detangling and combing, and offering superior dry combing and hair feel.
Varisoft EQ 65 can be used as the primary positively charged ingredient for hair care products such as leave in conditioners, rinse off conditioners, hair masks, and intense treatments, as well as an emulsifier for lotions, creams, and body butters in which you want a green, biodegradable product with a less greasy and smooth skin feel with low tackiness.
Hair care products made with 2% Varisoft EQ 65 offer excellent rinse-ability, increased ease of styling, and increased gloss when compared to 2% Behentrimonium Chloride, and increased hair volume, bounce, dry and wet feel along with dry and wet combing compared to 2% Cetrimonium Chloride. Compared to alkyl quats like Behentrimonium Methosulfate or Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, conditioners made with Varisoft EQ 65 weigh hair down less.
- COSMOS certified Green and readily biodegradable
- Increased rinseability, ease of styling, and increased gloss when compared to alkyl quats like Behentrimonium Chloride in hair care products
- Increased volume, bounce, and improved wet and dry feel as well as wet and dry combing compared to Cetrimonium Chloride in hair care products
- Reduced weighing down of hair
- Produces a smooth, less greasy, powdery skin feel in emulsions
- Increased substantivity and conditioning for skin in body care products
- Eco and green hair care products, including conditioners, leave in conditioners, and conditioning masks.
- Eco and green body care products, including lotions, moisturizers, and creams as the emulsifier
- Sun care and after sun care products due to the smooth skin feel and low tackiness
INCI: Distearoylethyl Dimonium Chloride (and) Cetearyl Alcohol
California Prop 65 Statement: The following statement is made in order to comply with the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. This product contains trace levels of methyl chloride, a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer.
- Varisoft EQ 65 contains cetearyl alcohol as a thickener (65% active distearoylethyl dimonium chloride to 35% cetearyl alcohol), but additional fatty alcohols such as Cetyl or Behenyl Alcohol can be added to increase substantivity and conditioning as well as viscosity. Generally, add 0.5% fatty alcohol for every 1% Varisoft EQ 65 used.
- In emulsions and conditioners with a small oil phase, Varisoft EQ 65 can be measured into the water phase and heated to 75°- 85°C (167°-176°F) along with any other heat tolerant oil or water soluble ingredients or dispersed into the water at 80°- 85°C (176°-185°F).
- Adding non-ionic emulsifiers such as Ceteareth-20 or Olivem 800 (INCI: Ceteareth-6 Olivate) at 1% to 3% will improve the processing of the pellets in water.
- Preservatives can be added at 40°C (104°F) with mixing, then allow the product to cool to room temperature.
- Optimal viscosity can be reached by mixing the product at 30°C (86°F) or under for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- In emulsions and conditioners with a larger oil phase, Varisoft EQ 65 and other oil or silicone soluble ingredients may be heated at up to 85°C (185°F) while heating the water phase to a similar temperature, before combining and mixing with high shear in a separate container, then combined with the water phase and mixed with high shear. Allow to cool to 40°C (104°F) before adding preservative, fragrance or essential oils, or other cool down ingredients. Allow the product to cool to room temperature before mixing again for 30 seconds to 1 minute to obtain optimal viscosity.
- In any product, the pH should be adjusted at the end of the formulating process to pH 4 to 4.5 as it can hydrolyze at pH levels higher than 5. This can be done by adding drops of a solution of 50% Citric Acid Solution and testing until it reaches ideal pH.
Recommended Use Rate: 1 - 10%
Appearance: White to off-white pastilles
Solubility: Soluble in water
Try out these formulations using this ingredient: